Advantages & Disadvantages of Wet & Dry Shaving
The earliest known evidence of wet shaving was found in Sumer in 3000 BC.
Published by Naked Armor
Shaving is the most popular way of removing unwanted hair for men and women.
It’s a convenient and cost-effective way in comparison to other modern hair removal methods.
One can shave using the wet method, which relies on water and lather to make the shaving process easy and smooth; or when one is pressed for time, shave dry- that is, without water or lather.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.
Understanding one’s type of skin is one factor that can help decide which method would be most helpful.
In this blog post, we will go through the pros and cons for each method so that you can make the right choice for your regular shaving routine.
This is the classic form of shaving. The earliest known evidence of this method was found in Sumer in 3000 BC.
Archaeologists documented traces of a substance which combined wood alkali and animal fat which was applied to the beard as a shaving preparation.
Today’s modern methods of wet shaving have gone a long way from simple fat and burnt wood. There are now shaving soaps and creams, as well as disposable razors, which make the entire experience easy and convenient for just about anyone.
Like all things, it also has its own pros and cons. These are:
- Gives you the closest shave - Since the hair is soaked in water and later covered with soap lather, the hair becomes softer and manageable. It makes it easy for modern razors, such as the straight razor, to shave off the hair closely with little or no damage to the skin.
- Offers superior exfoliation action- The combined action of the various shaving products and modern razor design allows the blades to remove even dead skin cells, leaving a smooth, soft and fresh skin. This is why men’s skin always has a youthful glow to it after a shave.
Disadvantages of Wet Shaving
- Learning curve – Not only does one need to learn which shaving product would give the best shaving experience, one also has to learn how to wield a razor. Shaving experts have always recommended the straight razor as the best tool to use for wet shaving but using a straight razor isn’t as easy as it seems. One will have to undergo a period of accidental nicks and cuts before mastering the art of wet shaving.
That being said, there are other alternatives to a straight razor. One can even use a disposable razor with its multiple blades for wet shaving. Although we guarantee, it won’t give you a clean and smooth shave like a straight razor could.
- Requires time – One needs to set aside time for wet shaving. There’s an art to wet shaving that cannot be rushed. It starts with the straight razor itself. One has to strop it before using it. Then one needs to prepare the face for the shave, and move on to preparing the lather for your face. Only then can one start shaving with a razor.
To do all of this, one needs to wake up early in the day in order to commit time for wet shaving. But while this may certainly cramp your morning routine, getting a close and smooth shave isn’t really a bad trade-off. Not when it’s going to make you feel awesome and ready to conquer the day.
Your skin type, amount of time to spare and budget will certainly factor into your decision on whether to dry or wet shave.
— D'Rock, Naked Armor Founder
Simply put, dry shaving is when you don’t have time to leisurely shave. You just grab an electric shaver or even a disposable razor and just go right ahead shaving all the hair off from your face.
No need for water, gel or shaving cream. That’s as dry as a shaving could be. And as quick and hassle-free for anyone running on a speed dial.
Advantages of Dry Shaving
- Convenient and easy – Modern razor technology, as exemplified by Gillette and Schick, has made it convenient for men to have a quick shave. One just needs to put in the battery for the electric shaver or take out a disposable cartridge razor from its packaging and that’s all one needs to start shaving.
These dry shavers, at times, come with trimming functions that allow for controlling the shaving length. You can actually manage a perfectly groomed beard with these shavers.
- Cuts hairs from a distance – Without water or lather, the hairs are stiff and not flexible. This means that when the blade shaves through the hair, the stiffness prevents the razor from coming in close contact with the skin. This eliminates the risk of developing ingrown hairs that would later grow into razor bumps because the razor won’t cut the hair below the skin layer.
Disadvantages of Dry Shaving
Not thorough – Dry shaving won’t certainly give you a close and smooth shave. In fact, a dry shaver may even need to shave more frequently because the hair could be showing again at the end of the day. At .5mm beard growth per day, that certainly a big possibility!
- Skin irritation- Those with sensitive skin might think twice before dry shaving. Because there is no lather to buffer the blade and no water to moisturize the skin, it may become tender and irritated when the blade starts cutting hair. Those with dry skin will certainly feel worse as it won’t feel smooth all throughout the shaving process.
Your skin type, amount of time to spare and budget will certainly factor into your decision on whether to dry or wet shave. If you need a convenient and quick method, dry shaving is a way to go. But if you need something that will last longer and result to a more smooth and close shave, then wet shaving would be your logical choice.
Here at Naked Armor, we love to wet shave. That’s why we offer the best products that would give the best results in wet shaving.
We carry a top of the line inventory of safety and straight razors, crafted in high grade Japanese steel and luxurious sandalwood handles. These razors make the shaving experience smooth and easy as the blades will cut through the hair easily.
We also offer artisanal, top quality soaps and other products all designed to provide a luxurious shaving experience not only for those with normal skin types but also for those with sensitive skin.
With Naked Armor, we guarantee an awesome wet shaving experience. Get a Safety Razor Kit now. Click Add To Cart below.
More Naked Armor Reads:
The Science of Wet Shaving
Wet Shaving Tips and Tricks for Men
10 Essential Wet Shaving Tips for Men
Leave a comment